I Write because I Need to


I write because I have an innate need to. 
I write because I can't do normal work as other people do. 

I write because I want to read books like the ones I write. 

I write because I am angry at everyone. 
I write because I love sitting in a room all day writing. 

I write because I can partake of real life only by changing it. 

I write because I want the whole world to know what sort of life we live in Istanbul, in Turkey. 

I write because I love the smell of paper, pen, and ink. 

I write because I believe in literature, in the art of the novel, more than I believe in anything else.

I write because it is a habit, a passion. 
I write because I am afraid of being forgotten. 

I write because I like the glory that writing brings. 
I write to be alone. 
Perhaps I write because I hope to understand why I am so very, very angry at everyone. 

I write because I like to be read. 
I write because once I have begun a novel, I want to finish it. 
I write because everyone expects me to write. 
I write because I have a childish belief in the immortality of libraries, and in the way my books sit on the shelf. 

I write because I have never managed to be happy. 
I write to be happy.

-Orhan Pamuk 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram